Incorporated in 1997, SportSign is a sign language interpreting service dedicated to providing professional, qualified* interpreters for various sporting events and recreational activities. The goal of SportSign is to facilitate effective communication between the Deaf and hard-of-hearing community and the hearing community.
Terry Schwankl, the original owner of SportSign, was inspired to commit to providing equal communication access to Deaf, DeafBlind, and Hard of Hearing individuals of all ages particpating in sports and recreation by a Deaf boy who wanted to play baseball and hockey with his neighborhood friends. David Nathanson, a Deaf coach and athlete believes in this mission and took over to continue this committment.
Who are the interpreters that work with SportSign?
- All SportSign interpreters have graduated from an interpreter training program and comply with the Interpreter Code of Ethics.
- All are RID or NAD certified or in the process of becoming certified.
- All are qualified* sign language interpreters.
- All have received specialized training for each activity.
- All have an interest and/or background in sports and recreation.
* The term qualified interpreter is defined by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulation as: an interpreter who is able to interpret effectively, accurately and impartially, both receptively and expressively using any necessary specialized vocabulary.